Insurance tips for Irene damage

    So you thought you didn’t need flood insurance. Then along came Irene.

    Mortgage lenders only require homes in designated flood zones to be covered. With an average of 1 in 5 homes covered by flood insurance in the U.S., this is the time to review your insurance policy. The Boston Globe recommends the following:


    “Review your policy. Pay close attention to the “Coverage” and “Exclusions” sections, which will help you understand what is covered under your policy.

    Damage caused by fallen trees and limbs plus debris removal should generally be covered in your homeowner’s policy. Also file a claim if the tree that fell on your property came from your neighbor’s yard.

    Your homeowners’ policy may include coverage for personal property damage. Your policy will state your level of such coverage.

    Storm damage to an automobile should be covered by your auto insurance, and is not covered by your homeowner’s policy.”

    Melissa Fox, of the Pennsylvania Insurance Department, tells KYW the most important part of all of this is making phone calls and having patience.

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    Together we can reach 100% of WHYY’s fiscal year goal