Fire significantly damages Freehold house

    A garage fire spread into a residence in Freehold Township early Friday evening, causing significant damage, authorities said. 

    The fire broke out around 6 p.m. at 155 Jackson Mills Road, a Monmouth County Police, Fire & EMS report on Facebook said. 

    Emergency radio chatter indicated that firefighters were worried about a propane tank in the garage igniting –forcing an evacuation of the structure at one point — although it did appear to remain intact. 

    Firefighters brought the blaze under control about an hour later, according to emergency radio transmissions.

    There were no injuries.

    The fire remains under investigation. 

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.