Report: Fire destroys Bradley Beach house

     (Photo courtesy of Steven McCarthy/@twostepp82 via Twitter)

    (Photo courtesy of Steven McCarthy/@twostepp82 via Twitter)

    An accidental electrical fire destroyed an early 20th century multi-unit house in Bradley Beach Sunday evening, according a report on APP.com.

    The stubborn fire, which broke out shortly before 7:00 p.m. at 217 McCabe Avenue, ripped through the third floor of the structure. Firefighters were temporarily ordered out of the structure before knocking down the blaze over an hour later. It then later reignited, but firefighters quickly responded and extinguished the flames. 

    The blaze did not spread to adjoining structures. 

    The lower floors suffered severe water and smoke damage, according to the APP.com report. 

    Red Cross volunteers assisted on the scene, providing food, clothing, coats, shoes, transportation, and hotel lodging to at least 12 displaced residents.

    Two were transported to an area hospital due to “unrelated conditions,” the report said. 

    A video posted on Instagram shows the early stages of the fire, with heavy smoke billowing from the structure and people leaving the adjacent house. A subsequent video captures flames shooting from the house.

    The pink building near Central Avenue, known as the “Irvington” house, was built in 1906, according to property tax records.

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.