Fire breaks out in Wynnefield retirement home

    Residents of a retirement community were evacuated yesterday when a fire broke out in the basement of the building.

     

     

    CBS3 reports that the blaze began around 5 p.m. Saturday at the Hayes Manor Retirement Residence on the 2200 block of Belmont Avenue.

    Firefighters had the blaze under control within a half hour.

    Residents are being sheltered in a different part of the building that wasn’t affected by the blaze.

    There’s no word of any injuries and the fire remains under investigation.

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.