By Kellie Patrick
With the inaugural meeting of the committee charged with revamping Philadelphia’s outdated zoning code one day away, five members of the Zoning Code Commission have yet to be chosen.
“The mayor hasn’t selected (his) appointees yet,” said Michael Amato, a spokesman for Mayor John Street.
Philadelphians voted to establish the Zoning Code Commission in a city-wide referendum. It has a big job. The city’s zoning code, hundreds of pages long, has not been overhauled since 1962. But it has been amended again and again. The commission is to replace the current confusion with an easier-to-follow guide – a smart, logical, fair roadmap to Philadelphia’s development future.
The original legislation gives the mayor and city council president five ZCC appointments each. Those 10 picks must include two building trades leaders, two urban planners, two attorneys with zoning experience, two architects and two real estate developers.
City Council President Anna Verna also selects the three representatives from council.
Council members each make one appointment, as do five chambers of commerce: Greater Philadelphia, Greater Northeast, Philadelphia African-American, Philadelphia Asian-American and Philadelphia Hispanic.
The law also states the Commission must include the Commissioner of Licenses & Inspections and the Chairman of the Zoning Board of Adjustment. And Janice Woodcock, head of the City Planning Commission, serves as chairperson.
The ZCC will hold its first meeting at 8 a.m. Friday in the 18th floor conference room, No. 18022, of the One Parkway Building, 1515 Arch Street. The agenda is still being firmed up, but a tentative itinerary includes a discussion of the commission’s mission and an introduction to some of the critical zoning issues. The meeting is open to the public.
Zoning Code Commission Appointees
1) Janice Woodcock, Executive Director City Planning Commission. – Appointed by Legislation.
2) David Auspitz, Chair of the Zoning Board of Adjustments. – Appointed by Legislation.
3) Robert Solvibile Sr., Commissioner Licenses & Inspections. – Appointed by Legislation.
4) John Binswanger, Chairman Binswanger & Co. – Appointed by Mark Schweiker, Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce. (Denise Early – Alternate).
5) Delilah Winder, Executive Director African American Chamber of Commerce. – Appointed by African American Chamber of Commerce. (Luther Weaver – Alternate).
6) Narasimha (Nick) Shenoy, Executive Director Asian American Chamber of Commerce. – Appointed by Asian American Chamber of Commerce. (Julie Wong – Alternate).
7) Varsovia Fernandez, Executive Director Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. – Appointed by Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. (Guillermo Salas Jr. – Alternate).
8) Al Taubenberger, Chairman Greater Northeast Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce. – Appointed by Greater Northeast Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce. (No alternate appointed at this point).
9) Councilman Frank DiCicco, City Councilman District 1. – Appointed by Anna Verna.
10) Councilman Darrell Clarke, City Councilman District 5. – Appointed by Anna Verna.
11) Councilman Brian O’Neill, City Councilman District 10. – Appointed by Anna Verna.
12) John Westrum, CEO Westrum Development Co. – Appointed by Anna Verna.
13) Emanuel Kelly, Principal Kelly Maiello Architects. – Appointed by Anna Verna.
14) Eleanore Sharpe, Associate Director University of Pennsylvania Center for Community Partnerships. – Appointed by Anna Verna.
15) Guy Pigliacelli, Council Representative Local 1050 Carpenters & Joiners. – Appointed by Anna Verna.
16) Ann Hoskins-Brown, Director of Development MANNA. – Appointed by Anna Verna.
17) Richard DeMarco, Klehr, Harrison, Harvey, Branzburg & Ellers. – Appointed by Anna Verna.
18) Greg Pastore, Bella Vista Town Watch. – Appointed By Frank DiCicco.
19) Darwin Beauvais, Klehr, Harrison, Harvey, Branzburg & Ellers. – Appointed by Jannie Blackwell.
20) MeLinda DeNofa, President Molly Construction Co. – Appointed by Carol Campbell.
21) Peter Kelson, Blank Rome LLP. – Appointed by Joan Krajewski.
22) Anne Papageorge, University of Pennsylvania. – Appointed by Daniel Savage.
23) Wendella Fox, U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights. – Appointed by Donna Reed Miller.
24) Marion Johnson, Legislative Aide to Councilwoman Marian Tasco. – Appointed by Marian Tasco.
25) Michael Leithead, Senior Deputy Executive Director Philadelphia Housing Authority. – Appointed by Brian O’Neill.
26) Andrew Toy, Enterprise Center. – Appointed by Darrell Clarke.