Rendell: 10 reasons I could never be NYC mayor
Ed Rendell is pulling a Chris Christie.
Though he’s already plainly stated he can’t see himself running for mayor of New York City, the former Philadelphia mayor and Pennsylvania governor has posted to his website the top 10 reasons why he “could never be the mayor of New York City.”
Outgoing NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg has been flirtaceously dropping names and hinting at dream successors. Rendell, who grew up in Manhattan, but admits to no practical knowledge of the city’s other four boroughs, wants no part of it.
10. I can’t be mayor of NYC and root for the Eagles and Phillies.
9. I don’t look as good in casual clothes as Mayor Bloomberg does.
8. Dealing with a 17-member city council in Philadelphia was tough enough. New York has 51!
7. There’s no Rocky statue in New York. No Rudy statue either
6. New York City cabbies make their Philadelphia counterparts look like driving instructors.
5. I couldn’t win an arm wrestling match with Gov. Christie to settle who owns the Statue of Liberty.
4. No one in NYC knows what a hoagie is. I think “subs” are used by the Navy.
3. No one in NYC knows what a mummer is.
2. The Phillie Phanatic is a much better mascot than Mr. Met.
1. I can’t get a real cheesesteak in NYC. They actually use good meat and real cheese!
Of course he couldn’t leave the Rocky statue behind! Has anyone ever yarnbombed the Statue of Liberty?
WHYY is your source for fact-based, in-depth journalism and information. As a nonprofit organization, we rely on financial support from readers like you. Please give today.