Massive Delaware apartment fire started in kitchen

Fire investigators say Monday night’s fire at the Canterbury Village Apartments in Bear started in the kitchen of a third floor unit.

 

The Delaware Fire Marshal’s Office blames the fire on cooking materials that ignited on the stove top in a third floor apartment at 5600 Byron Court in Bear.  The fire, which caused an estimated $1 million in damage, forced more than 20 people from their homes.  

A 51-year-old man was seriously injured in the fire.  He was taken to Crozer Medical Center in Pennsylvania where he was last listed in critical condition.

The apartment complex management is working with residents to determine when they can re-enter their apartments to retrieve personal items.  The Red Cross is also providing emergency assistance.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Help us get to 100% of our membership goal to support the reporters covering our region, the producers bringing you great local programs and the educators who teach all our children.