Fire causes damage to Newark shopping plaza

(File/ NewsWorks)

(File/ NewsWorks)

A morning fire closed a handful of businesses in a Newark shopping plaza.

The fire broke out around 10 a.m. Wednesday in the ceiling of Webb’s Cleaners, located in the Shops at Red Mill Plaza on the 1400 block of Capitol Trail.

When fire crews arrived, smoke was coming from the roof of the building. No one was injured and firefighters were able to contain the fire in about 30 minutes.

According to the Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office, the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction in the attic.

Damage is estimated at $100,000. Two businesses in the shopping center will be temporarily closed.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Help us get to 100% of our membership goal to support the reporters covering our region, the producers bringing you great local programs and the educators who teach all our children.