Wires damaged by Superstorm Sandy led to boardwalk blaze
Authorities say a massive boardwalk fire in New Jersey was accidental and they have linked it to electrical wiring and equipment they say was compromised by Superstorm Sandy nearly a year ago.
The announcement was made Tuesday, five days after the fire destroyed more than 50 boardwalk businesses in Seaside Park and Seaside Heights. Investigators say the fire started under a building that housed a candy store and an ice cream stand.
They say the fire was the result of a failure of electrical equipment and wiring under the boardwalk and subfloor compromised by Sandy floodwaters.
The equipment had been inaccessible since Sandy struck in late October. We’ll have more coverage later this afternoon.
WHYY is your source for fact-based, in-depth journalism and information. As a nonprofit organization, we rely on financial support from readers like you. Please give today.