This week, the office of U.S. Rep. Chaka Fattah asked NewsWorks to share an open letter he was sending out to all residents of a Second Congressional District in which he was recently reelected to serve.
What follows it the text of that letter. We invite you to post questions in the comments section, which we will then forward to Fattah’s staff.
“On Jan. 3, 2013, I was sworn in to begin my tenth term representing Pennsylvania’s Second Congressional District. Many of you are new constituents, and I welcome you to this redrawn and diverse District that covers many neighborhoods in Philadelphia as well as Lower Merion and Narberth in Montgomery County.
“I am tremendously honored that you have chosen to elect me as your Representative in Washington. I will continue to introduce and vote on legislation that not only reflects your interests but is good for our country as a whole.
“Locally, my District office at 2401 N. 54th St. in Philadelphia’s Wynnefield neighborhood is staffed to provide you with excellent constituent services.
“As I have over the last 18 years, I will continue in the 113th Congress to pursue an aggressive legislative agenda. I have already introduced legislation that seeks to ensure America will meet its financial obligations and not default on its debt.
“Additionally, I will continue my work on:
• the Fattah Neuroscience Initiative to promote research and discovery across brain cognition, development, disease and injury;
• legislation to make co-ops a national priority and to provide federal resources to support the effort;
• support for manufacturing innovation;
• expansion of GEAR UP – Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs — the nation’s most successful early college awareness program for low income students which has served over 12 million students in 49 states, from grades 6 to 12; and
• significantly improving the quality of life for the nation’s young people through support and expansion of youth mentoring programs.
“As Vice Chair of the new Gun Violence Prevention Task Force I will be working with my colleagues to keep America safe through sensible gun regulation.
“I will also serve as Co-Chair of the newly formed House Science and National Labs Caucus and continue my duties as Co-Chair of the Congressional Urban Caucus.
“During the 113th Congress, I will continue to serve on the House Appropriations Committee. I am the Senior Democrat on the Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science and related agencies, and also serve on the Subcommittee for Energy and Water Development.
“I am proud and honored to serve the 705,688 residents of the Second Congressional District. Know that I will work diligently every day on your behalf and will be reachable and responsible to you.”