Smithsonian won’t pull Cosby art exhibit after charges

The criminal charges filed Wednesday against Bill Cosby won’t lead to any changes to a Cosby-funded art exhibit at a Smithsonian museum.

Eddie Burke, a spokesman for the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African Art, said Wednesday that the exhibit will close as scheduled on Jan. 24. He says no changes will be made to a posted disclaimer that says the museum does not condone Cosby’s alleged behavior.

About a third of the works on display in the exhibit come from the private collection of Cosby and his wife, Camille. Cosby also funded the exhibit with a $716,000 gift.

Smithsonian officials debated whether to pull the exhibit after revelations about Cosby’s behavior with women in court documents unsealed earlier this year. Cosby was charged Wednesday with aggravated indecent assault.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Help us get to 100% of our membership goal to support the reporters covering our region, the producers bringing you great local programs and the educators who teach all our children.