Fire damages room at Penn State engineering building

    Penn State says a late-night fire damaged a classroom and left the building smelling like smoke.

    The university says the accidental fire late Tuesday was contained to a first-floor room for graduate students in the Hammond Building.

    The university says the building that’s home to the College of Engineering will be closed Wednesday while damage is cleaned up.

    The Centre Daily Times reports flames were shooting out of a classroom window and black marks could be seen outside.

    It’s the second incident on the Penn State campus this week.

    A section of plaster fell Monday in an auditorium during a program for prospective engineering students, injuring at least one person.

    Officials say about 500 people were in Schwab Auditorium when the 2-foot-by-8-foot section fell from an overhanging balcony.

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.