Officials say a barking dog alerted its family to a house fire in Ocean County.
The fire broke out on Harpoon Street in Beachwood shortly before 2 a.m. Monday, according to a Beachwood Fire Department news release.
The family dog alerted the residents to the fire before the smoke detector activated, allowing them to escape unharmed.
The dog was not injured.
Arriving firefighters brought the blaze, located within the second floor, under control within 20 minutes. Authorities have not disclosed the extent of damage.
The Ocean County Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating.