Fatherhood will be celebrated this month on Father’s Day. For many, fathers and father figures are key to supporting and raising children, and like moms, can serve as role models and mentors throughout the life cycle.
Dr. Dan Gottlieb speaks with Solomon Jones, The Reverend Charles “Chaz” Howard, and Dr. Brad Sachs about fatherhood—its many forms and functions, wisdom imparted by dads, and the rich pageant of experiences that define this parental role.
Solomon Jones a Philadelphian, has three children. He is a bestselling author and award-winning journalist who blogs for Newsworks. He has been featured on NPR’s Morning Edition, CNN Headline News, in Essence magazine, and in a Verizon advertising campaign called Realize, which spotlighted entrepreneurs who overcame adversity to succeed.
Chaz Howard, the father of two, is chaplain at the University of Pennsylvania.
Brad Sachs, Ph.D. is the father of three children, a grandfather, and is the Director of The Father Center. A psychologist and the author of numerous articles and books on fatherhood, he has been a long-time advocate for the salient and significant role that men can and should play in family life from its very inception. His most recent book is Family-Centered Treatment With Struggling Young Adults (2013)
"A Love Letter to my Dad"
Dr. Dan Gottlieb shares a message to his dad on Father's Day. Listen below, or read the letter »
- Daddy's Home: A Memoir of Fatherhood and Laughter by Solomon Jones (Ebook only)
- Fatherhood: Rising to The Ultimate Challange by Etan Thomans with Nick Chiles
- The Fathers Book: Being a Good Dad in the 21st Century
- Fatherhood by Bill Cosby and Alvin F Poussiant
- The Guy's Guide to Surviving Pregnancy, Childbirth and the First Year of Fatherhood by Michael Crider
- Home Game: An Accidental Guide to Fatherhood by Michael Lewis
- The Book of Dads: Essays on the Joys, Perils, and Humiliations of Fatherhood by Ben George
- Book of Fatherly Wisdom: Guidance, Comfort and Strength from Father to Son by Edward Hoffman
- Father to Daughter: Life Lessons on Raising a Girl by Harry H. Harrison Jr.
2 Responses to Fatherhood: Wisdom and ways