Here in the U.S., odds that a couple will celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary are about 50/50. That’s sobering news for young men and women ready to say ‘I do’ in this season of spring nuptials.
Study after study, it’s been shown that factors such as educational disparities, compatibility, stress, and money can pull marriages apart. Yet some marriages remain in tact, as issues like these are negotiated.
Dan Gottlieb and his guests B. Janet Hibbs, M.F.T., Ph.D., and Mike McNulty, Ph.D., discuss divorce prevention—where to begin to build a stronger, lasting marriage.
B. Janet Hibbs is dually licensed as a psychologist and family therapist and is an Approved Supervisor for the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists.
Mike McNulty is a psychotherapist who leads trainings for The Gottman Relationship Institute at The University of Chicago’s School of Social Service Administration’s Professional Development.
- 7 Minute Marriage Solution by Stephen Arterburn
- Seven Principals for Making Marriage Work by John M. Gottman
- The Science of Trust by John M. Gottman
- Divorce Prevention Rescue Mission by Lou Diamond
- Fighting for Your Marriage by Howard J. Markman, Scott M. Stanley, Susan L. Blumberg
- Creating A Marriage You'll Love — Contributers include: John Gray Ph.D., Harriet Lerner Ph.D., Gay Hendricks Ph.D., Barbara De Angelis Ph.D, Mike Robbins, Terri Orbuch Ph.D., Kris Carlson, Joesph Bailey, Nicole Chaison, John Van Epp Ph.D., Debra Galant, Nava Atlas, Judith Wallerstein Ph.D., Sandra Blakeslee.
1 Response to Divorce prevention 101