Delaware banner

Delaware City refinery to add hundreds of jobs

Friday, June 4th, 2010

The reopening of the Delaware City refinery will create up to 700 high-paying, full-time jobs, according to the chairman of the company that now owns the facility.

PBF Energy Partners completed the purchase of the refinery from Valero Energy Corporation earlier this week for $220 million.

PBF Chairman Thomas D. O’Malley says there will be about 500 full-time jobs at the refinery and an additional 175 to 200 full-time “outside” positions. He says 60 to 70 people have already been hired.

“These are not low-wage jobs,” he said. “An average cost per person, including benefits, probably exceeds 100 thousand dollars.”

O’Malley says it will take an additional 700 people to get the refinery ready to reopen. Modifications to the massive plant will cost about $130 million, he says, and will take several months.

“It’s not that we’re adding any significant parts or pieces to the refinery,” O’Malley said. “It’s that we’re doing a complete maintenance job in a thoughtful way and in a way that we’re not pressed for time.”

The facility is scheduled to restart in the spring of 2011.

Valero announced in November that it would halt operations at the refinery and lay off 550 workers. O’Malley is the former chairman and CEO of Premcor, which sold the refinery to Valero in 2005.

• Robert says:

I would like to know if they will be posting job openings soon? I am looking for a fulltime job any shift.

• Jeffrey Maska says:

I have a black seal boiler operator license and am actively seeking employment. How do I submit my resume to be considered for employment? Thank you.

• Tom Szerlik says:

I would like to apply for a position in the refinery if possible. I worked in the chemical and refining plants for my whole career. I worked in a phenol plant for many years. Working my way from a laborer to a supervisor. I learn the job and make many efforts to find ways better way ways to save money for the employer. I have worked in a team environment. Have been an operation trainer. Belonged to the hazmat team for the pervious company. I have my TWIC’s card. If you can find a place for a hard working person and knowledgabele person I promise it would not be a mistake.

• Mary Ann says:

How do I apply for a position. I can do office work or am willing to train to do something actually in the refinery. Where do I apply? Thanks.

• Blake Heath says:

I would like to apply for a entry level job. I Have 17 years in the chemical feild

Blake E.Heath

• Gary d Staton says:

I would like to know where to apply for a job.

• thesonofbatman says:

Wish they would do the same for Eagle Point Refinery in Westville,NJ.
      Their job info line says that they are hiring former employees first and would announce later after that.

• jeffrey armstrong says:

how do i apply for a welding /mach. position

• GSM says:

PBF is a bunch of crap, i didn’t miss any time and had good reviews. i got a “NO” letter june 1st. 386 employees on the list as of sept 9, 09. and PBF wants to go down to 320 to run the refinery and the power plant. the power plant had 70 employees. a total 456 hourly workers for both refinery and power plant, down to 320 to run both. people had 1000 overtime hrs a year as it where, that place is going to be dangerous. now almost 40 “YES” letter people are not returning which makes the head count 275 to 280. thanks steelworkers for bringing ibew workers into the refinery maintenance job that i once had. work safe!

• Mary says:

Where can I apply? Have experience with payroll and other administrative duties.

• deirdra says:

Will there be information soon as to where and how to apply for a job with this company???

• Gabriel Buccino says:

I would like to apply for a job at your facility. I worked at the Motiva plant for over 3 years in Delaware City operating heavy equipment, adjusting and maintaining escavating machinery until the refinery had a tanker blow up and they pulled us out of there. I am very interested in working for your company. I am familar with OSHA rules and regulations. Safety is the main priority in a plant like that. My cell number is 267-581-0713 Home is 610-874-1964. I am available for all shifts/7 days a week

• Shirley says:

I would like to apply for a full time job with your company.Would you please send me the information or address on where or how to apply. Thank You

• William D. Strouse says:

I am interested in a full time position with the plant located in Paulsboro,New Jersey or Delaware Plant. I would like futher information where to apply and send my resume. I am former employee of the Valero Plant in Paulsboro,New Jersey and retired in 12/31/2009 with 35 years experience.

• Robert says:

I am interested in a full time position with your plant located in delaware. I would like some futher information on where to apply and send my resume.

• Gary d Staton says:

I would like to know where to apply for a job?

• Charles Enloe says:

Where Do I need to go to apply

• Blake Heath says:

I would like to apply for a entry level job. I have 17 years in the chemical field
      Blake E.Heath

• PBF is a bunch of crap, they did not do as they said they would do and hire back ALL the previous employees. I guess 18 years of experience at the same place counts for NOTHING for them!! Even people that had 25 years did not get hired back. We did all they said we should do and then you get a letter in the mail that your qualifications aren’t good enough. What a joke!! Anyone that goes to work for them beware because your job will there one day and gone the next.