Health and Science banner

Flooding aftermath: mold

Friday, October 1st, 2010



Up to ten inches of rain dumped on parts of the Delaware Valley these past few days – submerging streets and people’s basements. Kerry Grens reports from WHYY’s health and science desk that events like these are invitation for mold growth.

(Photo: Flickr/MichiganMoves)

Mold is everywhere. It just needs a bit of moisture to start colonizing drywall or carpet – and this week definitely provided plenty of moisture. Dan Rostelli, the owner of Mold Detection and Remediation Specialists in Philadelphia, says to turn dehumidifiers and fans on immediately to dry up any leaks or flooding.

Rostelli: There’s molds like aspergillus, penicillium, chaetomium, stachybotrys, those are known allergenic types of molds and those are the kinds of molds you would see start to colonize over time if those surfaces in the basement, attic or any part of the house gets wet and isn’t completely dried within 48 hours.

Anti-microbial chemicals can help prevent growth too.

Health officials say to cautiously but quickly remove water from flooded homes. Palak Raval-Nelson, Philadelphia’s director of environmental health services, says to first make sure there is no electrical hazard, then don gloves, boots and a mask before tackling standing water.

Raval-Nelson:
If you’re going to be dealing with the water you want to take precautions because you don’t know what else is in the water. Nails could be floating in it. I don’t mean to be disgusting but if there were critters that drowned, rodents, or whatever they could be in the water as well.

Sewage is also common in floodwater, both inside the home and in puddles in yards and streets. The forecast calls for dry skies Saturday.


4 Comments

  • Sasha says:

    One effective way to combat mold problems is by the use of desiccants like Silica Gel. These are the same small sachets you find in packaging of various products like electronics, garments, etc.

    Silica Gel works by absorbing the moisture in its surrounding area. For most mold challenges, it does the job pretty well. Small sachets cost less than a dollar. It truly is a cost effective way of protection from moisture.

    There is a lot more information on our website at http://www.SilicaGel.net

  • TruthAboutMold says:

    Mold can cause serious health problems. For accurate information about the health effects of mold, go to truthaboutmold.info and globalindoorhealthnetwork.com.

  • TruthAboutMold says:

    Mold can cause serious health problems. For accurate information about the health effects of mold and indoor contaminants, go to http://truthaboutmold.info and http://globalindoorhealthnetwork.com.

  • TruthAboutMold says:

    Mold can cause serious health problems. Be sure to use the correct type of personal protective equipment when handling moldy and water-damaged materials. For accurate information about the health effects of mold, go to http://truthaboutmold.info and http://globalindoorhealthnetwork.com.

spacer image