PA Attorney General challenges constitutionality of health plan

Monday, March 22nd, 2010

Pennsylvania Attorney General Tom Corbett plans to join in a lawsuit questioning the constitutionality of the federal health care overhaul plan President Obama will sign into law.

Republican governors and attorneys general from at least ten states are putting together a lawsuit challenging the legality of the health care bill, a measure President Obama says will provide coverage for more than 32 million uninsured Americans.

Corbett’s office says Pennsylvania will join in the suit.

Several state Republican lawmakers are pushing for a constitutional amendment or bill to nullify the health care legislation’s insurance mandates within Pennsylvania.

Governor Ed Rendell says those efforts are a waste of time.

Rendell:
Idaho can’t have its own passport system. Idaho can’t have its own immigration rules. There can’t be different immigration rules in California and Arizona. Once the federal government acts in an area, they act for all of us. That’s the federal supremacy clause. So it’s a waste of taxpayers’ money, and it is nothing more than political grandstanding.

Corbett is running for governor in the Republican primary, where state Representative Sam Rohrer is challenging him from the right.

His office did not respond to calls for comment.

• Karen Davis says:

I do not want my Commonwealth of Pa taxes used by Attorney General Corbett against the U.S. compassionate health care law which just passed!!! I worked for 1 1/2 years with 12 other focus groups around Pennsylvania to help Governor Rendell get his health plan passed because my county of Warren had 26% of people between 19-64 without medical coverage. Kudos to Congresswoman Dahlkemper. How good is Corbett’s insurance through the state?

• Kathleen says:

The Republican party has been embarrasing enough with their childish behavior and now our whole state is going to be dragged down in their “SORE LOSER” mess. I’m an Independent and from what I’ve seen in the lack of compassion and poor judgement in all of the Republicans and some Democrats it will determine who I vote for in the future. Boy this health reform sure has shown the lack of character in so many elected officials. Let it alone!!!

• carmen says:

THE REPUBLICANS have done a great job of distorting the truth and Polarizing America over an issue that should be a non issue–many Presidents Republican and Democrats long ago tried to get health care for its citizens–they all failed—#! the government is us you all–its not some foreign body –the Republicans lost –they are a LOST CAUSE—-read the bill its has VERY positive ELEMENTS–for those that want GOV out of their business–then give up SS–give back any unemployment they ever got–tell the schools systems that got federal aid to never to accept it again— Federal road project interstates highway systems–et al –what in hate world are these people saying its bizarre–the GOV is supposed to work for the health and welfare of its citizens–taxes get it done–Their ARE TOO MANY ideological DOLTS out there–

• Stephen says:

Virginia, whether you like it or not, someone has to pay for your health insurance. It can be you, in a pool of other voluntary subscribers, or you can allow the government to take people’s money and decide who gets what care. If you think it’s OK to steal– and don’t mind that it’s unconstitutional– then go be a slave. I will be defending my family’s right to be free of interference from the federal government.

• Virginia Ellis says:

Stephen, I”m 58 years old and self-employed. I used to pay Aetna every month, until they cancelled me. I agree with you that I should be paying for my own health insurance. What I”m objecting to is using tax money to fight AGAINST a bill that has passed. I have lived in other countries where health care is better utilized, and as a nurse working in this country I believe we can do a lot better. That’s why I want to see change. I do hope you and your family are adequatly covered and are healthy.

• Virginia Ellis says:

I hope my taxes are not paying for you, sir, to challenge a law this resident, registered nurse and voter of Pennsylvania has been longing for. If you are, please forfeit your own health insurance immediately and take your chances as I must under your beloved “free market system”. You are behind the times. The world has changed; America needs to grow up NOW.

• Cynthia Gee says:

Hi….
    I’m Cynthia Gee, your average Pennsylvania housewife. My husband’s name is Arnold, and we have been married for over 30 years now. We’ve raised 2 kids and had a pretty good life so far, but this month my husband was diagnosed with Chronic Renal Disease after failing a physical examination necessary to obtain employment with the PA Department of Corrections.

Back in 2008 when Arnold first became unemployed, we applied for and were approved to receive Adult Basic insurance coverage at a cost of $36 per month, and we were placed on a waiting list.
    We’ve been on that waiting list for over a year now, and in January I was told that it would be at least two more years before any more people would come off the waiting list and actually receive low-cost coverage, so to cover Arnold’s escalating medical costs, I decided to pay the full price of $243 for Adult Basic coverage though on Unemployment we can’t afford it.
    I went to the Unison website, and found that the full price Adult Basic coverage that cost $243 last year now costs $600 per person per month. That’s 249% increase, and over twice what we used to pay for coverage for BOTH OF US, back when Arnold was working.

That’s an outrage – we only make $1800 per month, and this “low cost” coverage would cost us more than our rent, utilities and groceries put together. It’s even more than it would have cost to continue our old insurance coverage under COBRA.

So, here we are — we make too much for Medicaid, and on unemployment we can’t afford Adult Basic – we couldn’t it even if both of us were working, and Arnold’s nephrologist wants to be PAID – he asked us up front, right in the middle of Arnold’s initial examination, exactly how we plan to pay his bill.

Two weeks ago, Arnold and I did something we have never done before – we took part in a political protest in front of the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Washington DC, where the heads of the big insurance companies were meeting that weekend. The next day, we met with lawmakers at the Rayburn Building, and the day after that, Arnold was interviewed on CNN’s morning news program.

Yesterday, President Obama’s Healthcare Bill was passed, and I thought that at last, we might be on the road to getting coverage for my husband, but today, I find that my own state attorney general has decided to challenge the legality of that bill.

If you go ahead with this lawsuit, I am considering undertaking a hunger strike to protest your action (not to mention the 249% increase in Adult Basic premiums) and I am prepared to take my protest to the steps of the Capitol Building in Harrisburg, if need be.

Sincerely, Cynthia Gee, Shippensburg, PA