Rep. Mike Castle announces run for U.S. Senate
Tuesday, October 6th, 2009
Delaware Congressman Mike Castle puts an end to months of speculation about his future political plans.
Today, Delaware's longest serving U.S. Representive and two-term governor announced he will run for United States Senate in the 2010 election.
Castle made the announcement at Tubman-Garrett park near the Wilmington train station.
"We are best served by an experienced, independent voice," Rep. Castle said, " and that is why I am announcing my intention to run for the United States Senate."
"Now is the time for independent voices and workable solutions that put people first, not politics"
Delaware voters will head to the polls in November 2010 to elect someone to fill the senate seat previously held by Vice President Joe Biden. Ted Kauffman was appointed to serve two years in the seat until the next election cycle.
Castle says after pondering it for some time, he made the final decision to make a senate run just over a week ago. He waited to make the announcement until Beau Biden, the Vice President's son and Delaware's Attorney General, returned home from his year-long service in Iraq with his National Guard unit.
Pundits have long speculated that Beau Biden would possibly run for his father's former seat. He returned to Delaware with his unit last week.
Castle says his focus will remain representing Delaware's interests in Congress and that an official campaign kick-off will come at a later date.
A democratic primary has already taken shape for Castle's congressional seat between former Lt. Governor John Carney, and Scott Spencer.
Rep. Castle's official campaign web site - CastleForSenate.com – was launched immediately following today's announcement.