May 15, 2015
Art of Food — Produced by Monica Rogozinski
The true beauty about the Frecon Farms is that they mean it when they say they are a “labor of love”. It all started with Richard S. Frecon in Berks County 1944 and now his grandchildren and friends keep it going stronger than ever. With their new website, they sell and deliver products to their online audience, they began on-the-farm events for all to enjoy, and have won the hearts of cider lovers with their recently launched Frecon’s Hard Cider. They run a year-round market and bakery, where fresh produce gets utilized on their sweet and savory tarts, breads and cookies. Now, the Frecon family invites us over to see their cider making process and how this product of theirs is one of the vital factors keeping their farm business alive year round and for generations to come.
Web extra: web-video produced by Monica Rogozinski and edited by Andrew Vlasak
The Frecon family farm is helping turn PA and the East Coast of the United States into a major hard cider region. Watch Steve and Hank Frecon explain how they are prepared to take part of this growing industry.
MRS. FRECON’S APPLE CAKE
Makes 9-12 servings
- 3 cups fresh Frecon apples of your choice, diced
- 2 cups granulated sugar or sub. 1 cup local honey
- 1/4 cup cooking oil or sub. 3/4 cup Frecon applesauce
- 3 free range eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
1. Coat a 9.5 inch baking pan with cooking spray or oil. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In large mixing bowl combine sugar, oil (or substitutes), vanilla and eggs.
3. In a separate mixing bowl stir together flour, salt, vanilla, baking soda cinnamon.
4. Add dry ingredients to the large mixing bowl. Stir in apples, if batter is too stiff, mix in fresh Frecon apple cider as needed. You may also add chopped nuts and/or raisins to your liking.
5. Pour batter into your pan and bake at 350 degrees F for
approximately 40-45 minutes. You will know when the cake is done once a testing stick or toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. Sprinkle top with powdered sugar.
6. While cake is still warm add Frecon’s Apple Butter to top of cake as a glaze or choose from one of our delicious jams or caramel toppings! Serve & enjoy!