Very Gingery Pumpkin Mousse
Recipe By American Diabetes Association
This dessert is easy and elegant as well as diabetic friendly.
Nutrition Facts: Carbohydrate exchanges 1.5.
Amount per Serving: Calories 105, Calories from Fat 10, Total Fat 1 g, Saturated Fat 0.6 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 260 mg, Potassium 205 mg, Total Carbohydrate 21 g, Dietary Fiber 2 g, Sugars 12 g, Protein 3 g, Phosphorus 200 mg.
Serving size: ½ cup
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 1 (1 ounce) package sugar-free, fat-free vanilla pudding mix (try also French vanilla or banana)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1½ cups cold 1% milk
- 1 cup pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup fat-free whipped topping
- 3 gingersnap cookies, crushed into crumbs
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry vanilla pudding mix with the cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Slowly whisk in the milk, whisking for 2 minutes. Add in the pumpkin, and continue to whisk until mixture begins to set. Fold in the whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. For each serving, put ¼ cup of the pumpkin mousse in a dessert cup or dish. Add a layer of gingersnap crumbs. Add another ¼ cup of the mousse on top of the crumbs. Sprinkle the top of each with 1 teaspoon chopped crystallized ginger.
Copyright 2012 American Diabetes Association. From forecast.diabetes.org, reprinted with permission from The American Diabetes Association. To order this book, please call 1-800-232-6455 or order online at shopdiabetes.org