Turnip Greens with Smoked Turkey Necks (or Wings)
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
Here’s a dish that can be a real budget stretcher and takes advantage of root vegetables coming into the market. Parsnips are a nice addition as well.
- 3/4 pounds smoked turkey necks (and/or smoked turkey wings)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bunches fresh turnip greens with roots (about 5 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- kosher salt and cracked red pepper to taste
- 1. Bring the smoked turkey and 2 cups water to a boil in an 8-quart Dutch oven. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 to 1½ hours or until meat is tender. Remove the turkey and when cool enough to handle, pick meat, and roughly chop.
- 2. Remove and discard stems and discolored spots from greens. Chop greens, and wash thoroughly; drain. Peel turnip roots, and cut in half.
- 3. Add greens, roots, onion, chicken broth, and sugar to Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add chopped turkey meat; cover and simmer 45 to 60 minutes or until greens and roots are tender.
- 4. Season and serve.