Thomas Jefferson's Crab Soup
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
Jefferson was said to be an adventurous eater, having used his own garden to experiment with foreign vegetables. He also had a hankering for deviled eggs and deviled crab. Want to eat like a Commander-in-Chief why not give this presidential recipe a try.
- ½ pound fresh crabmeat
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-½ tablespoons flour
- 3 hard boiled eggs, mashed
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 4 cups milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sherry
- Dash Worcestershire
- 1. Boil crabs in salted water to get the meat (if using fresh).
- 2. In a large saucepan, combine butter, flour, eggs, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- 3. Boil on low heat and pour milk in slowly. Add crabmeat to milk mixture and gently cook for 5 minutes.
- 4. Add cream and remove from heat before it reaches a full boil.
- 5. Add sherry and Worcestershire. Serve.