The Quickest Tomato Soup
Recipe By Christina Pirello
This tomato soup usually simmers for hours and gets rich and creamy, as the bread "melts." In this quick version, the soup has a chunky texture that is incredibly satisfying, cooks in just minutes, and is loaded with vitamins, minerals, protein, and fiber.
Makes 3–4 servings
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- Sea salt
- 2 (28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- ½ loaf whole-wheat bread, cut into cubes
- Cracked black pepper
- 2–3 sprigs fresh basil, leaves coarsely chopped
- 1. Place a small amount of oil and onion in a soup pot over medium heat. When the onion begins to sizzle, add a pinch of salt and sauté for 2 minutes.
- 2. Stir in tomatoes and bread; season to taste with salt and pepper and cook for 15 minutes. Add water in small amounts to create a thinner soup texture. Simmer 5 minutes more if you add water. Stir in basil and serve hot.