The Best Whole Chicken in a Crock-Pot
Recipe By Lisa Leake from 100 Days of Real Food.com
The bonus of this recipe is once you cook the chicken and remove it from the bone you add a few ingredients and keep cooking to come up with the best chicken broth ever. Not to mention, you have chicken already for your weeknight meals: freeze for use in casseroles, soups, tacos or pizza.
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne (red) pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 large chicken
- 1. Combine the dried spices in a small bowl.
- 2. Loosely chop the onion and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- 3. Remove any giblets from the chicken and then rub the spice mixture all over. You can even put some of the spices inside the cavity and under the skin covering the breasts.
- 4. Put prepared chicken on top of the onions in the slow cooker, cover it, and turn it on to high. There is no need to add any liquid.
- 5. Cook for 4 – 5 hours (for a 3 or 4 pound chicken) or until the chicken is falling off the bone. Enjoy!