Ten-Vegetable Fried Brown Rice
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
Don't let the long list of ingredients deter you — this is very easy to pull together.
This recipe serves 4 people
- ½ cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 12 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1½ tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- ½ cup finely diced red onion
- 1/3 cup diced and peeled carrot
- 1/3 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup small broccoli florets
- ½ cup sliced straw mushrooms or shiitakes
- 1/3 cup snow peas, finely diced
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen peas
- ½ cup diced fresh pineapple, or canned
- 1/3 cup diced yellow squash
- 1/3 cup asparagus tips, cut into ½-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- 1. Place the rice and stock in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed. Set the mixture aside.
- 2. Spray a wok or large non-stick pan with cooking spray. Sauté the garlic and ginger over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes, or until soft.
- 3. Add the onions and carrots and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the bell peppers, broccoli, and mushrooms, and stir-fry for 1 minute longer. Add the snow peas, green peas, pineapple, squash, and asparagus, and stir-fry for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- 4. Add the cooked rice, scallions, cilantro, and white pepper, and stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until everything is well combined. Serve immediately.