Sweet Potato Black Eyed Pea Soup
Recipe By Green Soul
This dish packs in fiber from the beans and the wild rice. If you don't have any vegetable stock, substitute an equal amount of tomato juice. Measurements don't have to be exact in a soup such as this and you can use similar items that you have on hand – try parsnip for the carrot or fennel bulb for the celery.
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 vidalia onion (diced)
- 1 carrot (diced)
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon jerk spice
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1. Sauté the above ingredients in a pot for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- 2. Add 2 12 ounce cans black eyed peas (rinsed), 2 large sweet potatoes cut into 1 inch dice, 3 quarts water mixed with ¼ cup cornstarch, 2 ounce vegetable stock, a pinch red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon sea salt, and 1 cup wild rice (cooked).
- 3. Bring to a boil then turn down and simmer for 15 minutes until flavors develop.