Subarashii Kudamono Asian Pear Wedge Salad with Balsamic Honey Reduction
Recipe By Subarashii Kudamono (Wonderful Fruit)
Take this elegant salad to work — pack the ingredients separately and carry the balsamic reduction in a plastic squeeze bottle. Assemble a la minute and drizzle artfully.
Recipe taken from WHYY’s Friday Arts: Art of Food.
- 2 medium-large (2½-inch diameter) Subarashii Kudamono Asian Pear (Niitaka variety) cubed or cut into wedges
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce cut into 4 wedges
- ½ cup walnuts or pecans
- ½ of a 4-ounce log of goat cheese crumbled (roughly 4 tablespoons)
- ¼ cup honey
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1. First, get your balsamic honey reduction going. Place honey, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over HIGH HEAT.
- 2. Soft Boil (at 240°) until the ingredients have reduced to a syrupy consistency (like maple syrup consistency) for about 5 minutes (this should yield about 2 tablespoons).
- 3. Turn off heat and set aside until your salads are ready. Divide the 4 wedges of lettuce among four plates. Top your greens with the Asian Pears, crumbled goat cheese, and walnuts.
- 4. Finally, drizzle your balsamic reduction over the tops of the salads.