Spicy Shrimp Noodles
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
Chinese take-out can pack a wallop of sodium and fat. It's easy to make delicious Chinese dishes at home so you know what's in it. Read the labels on the red curry paste and the fish sauce and adjust the recipe if those brands are high in sodium.
- 1 pound Chinese egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped hot chili peppers
- 1-2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1 carrot, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 scallions, finely sliced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1. Cook noodles in boiling water for 2-3 minutes or until just tender; drain. Heat oil in wok; add shallots, garlic, chilies, and curry paste, cooking until just fragrant.
- 2. Add the shrimp in several batches and cook for 3-4 minutes each batch.
- 3. Place all of the shrimp in the wok and add the carrot, fish sauce, and brown sugar; bring to a boil.
- 4. Add noodles and scallions and combine to mix.
- 5. Garnish with cilantro leaves.