Recipe From Gourmet Today: More than 1,000 all new recipes for the contemporary kitchen, edited by Ruth Reichl
Here's an easy way to spice things up.
Active time: 10 minutes
Start to finish: 45 minutes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons salt (we recommending cutting this down to ½ teaspoon)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 chicken breast halves with skin and bones or 4 whole chicken legs, thighs and drumsticks separated if desired, rinsed and patted dry
- ½ cup water
- 1. Put rack in middle of oven and preheat to 450°F.
- 2. Stir together spices, salt and 1 tablespoon oil. Rub evenly all over chicken.
- 3. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in 12-inch ovenproof heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Brown chicken, turning once, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 4. Turn chicken skin side up, transfer skillet to oven, and roast until just cooked through, 16 to 18 minutes for breasts, about 25 minutes for legs. Transfer to platter.
- 5. Add water to pan and deglaze by boiling over high heat, scraping up brown bits for 1 minute. Transfer sauce to a bowl and skim off fat.
- 6. Serve chicken with sauce on the side.