Spaghettini with Cinnamon and Bay Tomato Sauce
Recipe By Robin Ellis
Unexpected ingredients for a pasta dish but it works. You can use tinned or fresh tomatoes, but fresh and ripe are better. Anna del Conte says it comes from Umbria.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 450 g/1 pound tomatoes, chopped with some of their juice
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 10 fresh bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 400 g/14 ounce wholewheat spaghettini
- 1. Using a large frying pan, sauté the onion in the oil until it softens, don't brown it.
- 2. Add the tomatoes, the cinnamon and the bay leaves. Season well and cook gently for about 20 minutes.
- 3. Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted water. Test for doneness and drain, retaining a little of the water.
- 4. Transfer the pasta to the frying pan, adding a couple of tablespoons of the water. Turn it over and mix well and cook for a minute or two. This is usually served without cheese, but that's up to you.