Southwestern Turkey Burger
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
It’s a new twist on the turkey burger. Use lean ground turkey and add chipotle flavored hot sauce to make it spicy and hot! Great for indoor or outdoor grilling.
Makes 4 burgers
- 1 ½ pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 cup mild salsa, strained & divided
- ⅓ cup finely chopped shallots
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon chipotle-(or hotter if desired) flavored hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 gloves of garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 4 multi-grain rolls, halved horizontally, lightly toasted
- 4 large red leaf lettuce leaves
- 1. Mix ground turkey, ½ of the salsa, shallots, cilantro, 3 tablespoons oil, hot sauce, cumin, garlic salt, and pepper in large bowl.
- 2. Form turkey mixture into four patties.
- 3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. When hot add burgers; cook until brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- 4. Reduce heat to low. Sauté until burgers are cooked through, about 4 minutes, turning occasionally.
- 5. Place roll bottoms on 4 plates. Place burgers on roll bottoms. Top each burger with 2 tablespoons of remaining salsa, lettuce leaves and top with roll tops.