Soul Food Stew
Looking for some comfort food? Give this stew recipe a try. This soul food recipe is so easy it basically cooks itself.
Total prep/cooking time: 40 minutes
Makes 6 servings
Nutrition Information per serving: Calories: 239, Protein: 7g, Carbohydrates: 45g, Fiber: 9g, Fat: 6g, Sodium: 17.5mg, Potassium: 849mg, Calcium: 23%, Iron: 14%, Vitamin A: 16.%, Vitamin C: 52%
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups collard greens
- 1 15-ounce can low sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 small yam, diced
- 1 cup okra, cut tops and chop
- 1 15-ounce can corn
- 1 green or red pepper, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black eyed peas
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Cayenne pepper for heat
- Garden herbs for flavor
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. Sauté the onions in the oil until they are clear, then add the garlic and pepper. **If you want to add ground meat, put it in now and brown for 7 minutes.**
- 2. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 2 minutes.
- 3. Add the remaining ingredients (black-eyed peas, corn, greens, okra, yam, molasses, and any herbs/spices you choose) and simmer for 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- 4. Spoon into bowls over grits, if desired, and enjoy!