Sloppy Joe the Vegan Sandwich
Recipe By Christina Pirello
There is something about a messy, meaty sandwich that has stolen America’s heart, and health. In this version, the filling is lean, meat-free, and saturated fat-free, but loaded with the taste and texture we have come to adore, and the nutrients we need.
Makes 4 sandwiches
For the Salad:
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- Sea salt
- 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh, crumbled
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup tomato sauce (no sugar added)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- Scant pinch chili powder
- Scant pinch cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- Sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 4 whole-grain hamburger buns
- 1. Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic with a pinch of salt for 2–3 minutes. Stir in crumbled tempeh and cook, stirring until the tempeh begins to brown. Add peppers and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in tomato sauce, soy sauce, syrup, spices, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 10–15 minutes.
- 2. While the tempeh mixture cooks, heat a lightly oiled griddle and lay the hamburger buns, cut side down, on the hot griddle to lightly toast them.
- 3. To serve, spoon hot tempeh mixture onto buns and serve with lots of napkins.