Shredded Brussels Sprouts
Recipe By American Diabetes Association
Studded with just a little prosciutto, even a dubious vegetable eater would find this hard to refuse.
Nutrition Facts: Vegetable exchanges 1, Fat exchanges 0.5.
Amount per Serving: Calories 40, Calories from Fat 20, Total Fat 2 g, Saturated Fat 0.3 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 75 mg (without added salt), Potassium 210 mg, Total Carbohydrate 5 g, Dietary Fiber 2 g, Sugars 1 g, Protein 3 g, Phosphorus 45 mg.
Serving size: ½ cup
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 12 to 15 minutes
- 1 pound fresh small brussels sprouts (about 4 cups)
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 ounce prosciutto, diced
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1. Trim the hard ends off the brussels sprouts. Remove any outer leaves that look yellowed or withered. Cut each sprout in half, and slice them into thin strips. Set aside.
- 2. Heat a 10- to 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil, prosciutto, and onions, and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the sprouts and toss them using tongs, coating the sprouts with the prosciutto and onions. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes until the sprouts are browned.
- 3. Sprinkle on the lemon juice and zest. Season the sprouts with salt and pepper.