Salt Baked Cornish Hen with French String Beans
Recipe By Chef Todd Gray
This meal is perfect for a family to share, or to have when company comes over. The different flavors are outstanding and they blend well together.
- 1 each whole cornish hen
- 2 pounds kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- ½ tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cracked pepper
- 2 each egg whites
For the Beans
- 2 cup french sting beans, cleaned and blanched
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 each shallots, sliced
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. For the Hen: Preheat oven to 350° degrees. Place hen into a large baking dish. In a large mixing bowl, combine salt, fennel, lemon, rosemary & pepper and mix well; lightly whip egg whites and add to salt mixture. Pack salt “crust” over hen, being sure to completely cover; place into oven.
- 2. For the Beans: Combine all ingredients into a 10″ sauté pan and cook over medium heat until beans are heated through.
- 3. To Assemble: After approx 30 minutes or when juices run clear from the leg, remove hen from the oven, allow to rest for 10 minutes. Crack salt crust away from hen, brushing any remaining salt off of bird. Cut into leg and breast portions, place onto 2 warm plates with French Beans and serve immediately.