Salmon and Asparagus Salad
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
Try this elegant but easy salad reminiscent of a Nicoise.
For the Dressing:
- Zest of 2 large limes
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ tablespoon capers
- 2½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon sugar or sugar substitute
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
For the Salad:
- 1 pound salmon fillet
- ½ cup water
- 1 pound small new potatoes, quartered
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 head green leaf lettuce
- 2 hard boiled eggs, shelled and cut into quarters
- 1. In a mixing bowl, add all the dressing ingredients except for the olive oil and blend well.
- 2. Add the oil to emulsify, and set aside.
- 3. Then, in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat, bring the wine to a boil and add the salmon. Reduce to a simmer and cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes until the fish is done.
- 4. In a medium size sauce pan, add enough water to cover the potatoes and boil over high heat for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Strain and keep warm.
- 5. In the same sauce pan add water and asparagus and steam for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Cool under cold water and set aside.
- 6. Remove the leaves from the lettuce, wash and evenly divide onto four plates, piling up.
- 7. In a mixing bowl, toss the egg with the asparagus and dressing. Flake the salmon in large chunks. Pour over lettuce and drizzle with remaining dressing.