Roasted Beet, Spinach and Walnut Salad
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
Try one of the many heirloom varieties of beets currently in the markets.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 beets (about 1 pound)
- 1 large onion, cut in half
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups spinach, washed
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese, such as Stilton or Gorgonzola
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 2. Lightly brush a roasting pan or cookie sheet with ½ tablespoon of the olive oil. Place the beets and onion in the pan and roast in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until the beets are tender. Add the walnuts to the roasting pan for the last 5 minutes.
- 3. In a mixing bowl, whisk the remaining 4 ½ tablespoons of olive oil with the balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper until well blended.
- 4. Peel the beets and onion, slice and add to the bowl with the toasted walnuts. Add the spinach and toss together. Transfer the salad to serving plates and sprinkle with the blue cheese.