Quinoa Ratatouille Salad
Quinoa is considered to be a nutritional powerhouse and ratatouille is is packed with vegetables. Why not combine them for twice the goodness? Recipe courtesy of Chef Walter Staib of City Tavern and host of A Taste of History
- 1 pound chicken breast, julienned
- 2 cups quinoa, dry
- 3 sprigs, fresh thyme
- 4 ½ cups reduced sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 red pepper, cored
- 1 yellow pepper, cored
- 1 green pepper, cored
- 2 zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 2 eggplant, sliced lengthwise
- 2 yellow squash, sliced lengthwise
- 2 large Portabello mushrooms
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 4 plum tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 1 bunch fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh chives, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Rinse quinoa through strainer until warm water runs clear.
- In a medium sized pot, bring stock to a boil and add quinoa and thyme.
- Reduce heat, cover and gently simmer until cooked through, about 18 minutes.
- Spray a grill pan with nonstick cooking spray. Grill vegetables over medium heat until al dente. Remove from heat and let rest 5 minutes.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork.
- Dice all the grilled vegetables into small pieces. In a large bowl, stir together vinegar and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add quinoa, chicken breast, tomatoes, tarragon and chives, diced red onion and vegetables and toss to combine. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Photo by Flickr user colin_n