Quinoa Corn Salad with Mint Vinaigrette
Debi Shawcross author of Friends At The Table
This is a good starter recipe. The flavors are very light and you could add many things to make this dish more of a standout. But the mint dressing definitely gives it a little something extra.
Makes 8 servings
For the Quinoa Salad:
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 1½ cups quinoa, rinsed
- 1¼ cups water
- 4 ears corn, kernels removed
For the Mint Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- ½ cup chopped mint leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1. To Prepare the Dressing: In a medium bowl whisk together the lemon juice, sherry vinegar, Dijon mustard, shallot, mint, salt, pepper, and olive oil and set aside.
- 2. To Prepare the Salad: Heat oven to 350°. Place pine nuts on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- 3. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, sprinkle with salt and sauté 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 4. Add quinoa and continue to sauté an additional 2 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil.
- 5. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Add corn kernels to pan, cover, and continue to cook an additional 5 minutes. Transfer quinoa corn mixture to a large bowl and toss with a spoon to loosen. Cool to room temperature. Add dressing and pine nuts. Mix well.