Potato Salad with Fresh Herbs and Lime
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
July 4th picnics are around the corner. This potato salad trades mayonnaise for healthier olive oil. Use the best extra virgin olive oil you can afford.
Makes 6-8 servings
- ½ cup of olive oil
- ¼ cup of fresh lime juice
- 1½ teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1 cup of chopped red onion
- ¼ cup of finely chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup of finely chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup of finely chopped fresh mint
- 2¼ pounds of small red potatoes, unpeeled
- 1. Whisk the oil, lime juice and lime peel in a small bowl to blend. Season with salt and pepper.
- 2. Put about half of the dressing in a large bowl. Mix in the herbs and chopped onion.
- 3. Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and cool for about 15 minutes. Cut the potatoes in ½ inch cubes. Add the potatoes to dressing in the bowl and toss to blend. Let stand for 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, adding more dressing as needed. Serve at room temperature.