Penne with Uncooked Tomato Sauce
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
Don’t overlook fresh tomatoes for sauce! They add brightness and flavor.
Serves 4 as a first course
- 1½ pounds of fresh, ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cubed
- ½ of a cup of olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ of a pound of dried penne pasta
- 1 cup of fresh basil leaves, washed and dried
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 of a cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Heat 1/3 of a cup of the olive oil in a small skillet and sauté the garlic for 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Put the cubed tomatoes in a bowl and add the cooled garlic oil along with the rest of the olive oil and let this mixture stand for 1 to 2 hours.
- 2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the penne until just tender. Meanwhile, shred the basil coarsely and add it to the tomatoes along with salt and pepper to taste.
- 3. Drain the pasta, scoop a few tablespoons of the oil from the tomatoes and toss the pasta with this oil in the warm pasta pot. Divide the pasta among 4 warmed bowls and top each portion with the tomato mixture and Parmesan cheese.