Pear and Cranberry Cast-Iron Crisps
Recipe By American Diabetes Association
For those following a diabetic diet, this rustic dessert fits only uses 2 carbohydrate and 1 fat exchange — a manageable treat.
Nutrition Facts: Carbohydrate exchanges 2, Fat exchanges 1.
Amount per Serving: Calories 180, Calories from Fat 55, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 30 mg (without added salt), Potassium 145 mg, Total Carbohydrate 31 g, Dietary Fiber 2 g, Sugars 21 g, Protein 1 g, Phosphorus 30 mg.
Serving size: ½ cup (1/3 of one skillet)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
For the Crumb Topping:
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons nonhydrogenated margarine (such as Promise or Canoleo)
- 1 tablespoon chilled unsalted butter, cut into small bits
For the Pear and Cranberry Filling:
- 4 small (about 5 ounce each) Bosc or D’Anjou pears, peeled and chopped (about 3 cups)
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons slivered almond
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat two 6½-inch cast-iron skillets with cooking spray. Set aside.
- 2. Prepare the topping: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the margarine and butter until coarse crumbs are formed. Set aside. You should have about 3/4 cup of topping.
- 3. For the pear and cranberry filling, mix together all the ingredients in a bowl. Divide the pear-cranberry mixture between the two cast-iron skillets, using about 1½ cups of the mixture per skillet. Top the mixture with the crumb topping, dividing it evenly between the two skillets.
- 4. Put the skillets directly onto the oven rack, and bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the top of each crisp with the slivered almonds. Raise the heat to 400°F. Continue to bake the crisps for 5 minutes, or until the topping is light brown and crisp. Remove the crisps from the oven. You can serve directly from the skillets if desired.