Pasta and Bean Soup
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
This soup serves six or can be easily doubled or tripled to accommodate a crowd. It is a delicious vegetarian dish as is, or sauté a little bit of low fat turkey sausage to give it a little meat accent.
Makes 4-6 servings
- ½ cup elbow macaroni, shells, etc.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2/3 cup tomato paste
- 15 ounces can chick peas (drained and rinsed)
- 16 ounces can cannelloni beans (drained and rinsed)
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon summer savory
- ½ teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- grated parmesan cheese as a garnish
- 1. Cook pasta in boiling water for about 6 minutes, until al dentel.
- 2. While pasta is cooking, in large saucepan, heat oil. Stir in onion, garlic, and pepper. Sauté till tender.
- 3. Stir in remaining ingredients except macaroni. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. When pasta is done, drain well. Stir into other ingredients. Heat. Garnish with parmesan cheese.