Pappa al Pomodoro
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
Hot or cold this soup is a hit! Feel free to substitute vegetable broth for the chicken stock or cut the olive oil down to ¼ cup. A little garnish of chopped fresh herbs is also nice.
- 2 large loaves Italian bread, trimmed of crust and cut into cubes
- 8 cups canned plum tomatoes or 8 cups peeled, seeded and cooked plum tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with grated parmesan, if desired
- 1. Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender.
- 2. Add the garlic and cook a minute more. As the garlic begins to brown, add the stock and tomatoes and bring it to a simmer.
- 3. Add the bread and the basil. Continually stir the soup until bread cubes are mashed and very soft. Serve hot or warm and garnish with a teaspoon of pesto and a sprinkle of both cheeses.