Papaya Black Beans and Rice
The sweetness of papaya balances the spice of cayenne pepper in this unique recipe. Wrap any leftovers in a tortilla for a quick lunch the next day.
Total prep/cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes 6 servings
Nutrition Information per serving: Calories: 410, Vitamin A: 30%, Fat: 4.5g, Vitamin C: 170%, Sodium: 440mg, Calcium: 10%, Carbohyrdates: 78g, Iron: 25%, Fiber: 14g, Protein: 13g.
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 medium papaya, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans no salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add all ingredients except beans and rice.
- 2. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until bell peppers are crisp-tender.
- 3. Stir in beans. Cook about 5 minutes more or until heated through.
- 4. Spoon into bowls over 1 cup of brown rice.