Pan Fried Noodles with Tofu and Red Curry Broth
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
This recipe isn’t as complex as it seems and it is a fun dish to assemble with friends and family.
- 1 pound precooked Hong Kong noodles
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 15 leaves fresh Chinese basil, chopped
- 8 stalks scallions, chopped
- 2 cans straw mushrooms
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 8 ounce package spicy dry tofu, sliced
- 8 fresh Thai chilis
- 4 tablespoons and 1 tablespoon hot sesame oil
- Soy sauce
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1. Place whole chilis onto aluminum foil and coat with 1 tablespoon sesame oil. Close foil loosely and broil until soft, about 10 minutes.
- 2. In a pot, bring broth to a boil. Add tops of chopped scallion and 1 chopped garlic clove to broth. Keep at a simmer.
- 3. Heat sesame oil in wok or large cast iron sauté pan to medium-high heat.
- 4. Remove stems of chilis and place into pan with garlic, curry and then scallions, tofu, basil and mushrooms. Sauté for 8 to 10 minutes.
- 5. Add noodles and sauté for 5 more minutes, until noodles are crisp, adding soy sauce to taste. Place contents of wok into four bowls. Ladle 2 scoops of broth into each bowl. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve.