Olive Oil Apple Cake
Recipe By Chef Angela Ranalli
At Le Virtù, Pastry Chef Angela Ranalli adds a crumb topping and serves it with flavored mascarpone. She says for a healthier version that works well for a breakfast, treat skip the topping and serve with a little yogurt on the side.
- 4 apples, peeled and sliced (about ¼ inch thick)
- 64 grams granulated sugar (¼ cup)
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
For the Cake Batter:
- 4 eggs
- 8 grams vanilla extract (1½ teaspoons)
- 500 grams granulated sugar (2 cups)
- 473 grams flour (2 cups)
- 9 grams baking powder (scant 2 teaspoons)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 220 grams extra virgin olive oil (scant cup)
- 143 grams orange juice (2/3 cup)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2. In medium size bowl, toss apple slices in sugar and cinnamon until well coated. Set aside.
- 3. For the Cake Batter: In large mixing bowl or electric stand mixer, whisk the eggs, vanilla extract, and sugar together.
- 4. In separate bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- 5. Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients on medium speed. Next add in the extra virgin olive oil and orange juice. Do not over mix.
- 6. Pour half the batter in a greased pan, 9.5 x 12, two inches deep, layer your apples over the top being careful not to press them into the bottom of the pan. Top with remaining batter and bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.