Oil & Vinegar Marinated Shrimp With Fennel
Recipe By Chef Jim Coleman
A little strategy makes this easy. Prepare your dressing the night before, quickly cook off your shrimp in the morning and let your shrimp marinate while you are at work knowing tonight’s dinner is already done.
- 1½ pounds of shrimp, shell & deveined (medium size)
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup of tarragon flavored red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh oregano
- ½ teaspoon of fennel seeds
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- ½ cups of garlic flavored olive oil
- 1 large bulb of fennel, quartered and sliced thin
- Pita loafs, cut into wedges as an accompaniment
- 1. In a large sauce pot over high heat bring water to a boil to cook the shrimp. Add the lime juice and cook the shrimp for approximately a minute and a half depending on the size of the shrimp.
- 2. Drain in a colander and refresh under cold running water.
- 3. In a mixing bowl, blend together the vinegar, oregano, fennel seeds, garlic and add the oil in stream whisking until the dressing is emulsified.
- 4. Add the shrimp and the fennel. Combine the mixture well and cover and chill for at least 4 hours to let the flavors develop. Serve with the Pita wedges.