Mixed Grain and Lima Bean Salad
Whole grains provide taste, satiety and good nutrition. Try this recipe and then branch out mixing and matching your own favorites. Although the original recipe doesn't call for nuts, a handful of chopped pecans almonds or walnuts is a nice addition. Toasted pine nuts, too! Recipe courtesy of Chef Jeff Klova Cooper University Hospital.
- 2 Cups Organic Hard Wheat Berries, uncooked
- 1/3 Cups Brown Rice, uncooked
- 8 Ounces Frozen Baby Lima Beans, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 Medium Red Onion, diced
- 3 T Olive Oil
- 3 T Lemon Juice
- 3 T Honey
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Curry Powder
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons sugar
- Salt to taste
- Cook wheat berries and rice in boiling water until tender — about 45 minutes to an hour.. If you are going to all that trouble, cook up a big batch and freeze in smaller quantities so you can pull it out of the freezer as needed for a variety of recipes.
- To make the dressing, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, honey, curry, powder and sugar. Toss cooked grains with onion and lima beans. Check seasoning and marinate in the refrigerator for several hours.
Photo by Flickr user Artizone